Monday, January 4, 2010

Cement Thighs

What do people who are fat and lazy (me) do for fun on the third day of a new year??-- Hike 7 miles in 20 degree weather on a rocky trail!!! Ken, Larry, Ruth and I hiked a section of the Palmetto Trail from Pomaria to Peak. This is an old railroad line along the Broad River where a historical foundation removed all the railroad ties, left the rocks and have turned over 400 miles in our states into hiking trails. We are aiming to do more sections, preferably on warmer days and when I'm back in better hiking shape. Right now, my thighs are cement chunks of unmovable flab!! I had Icy Hot on them before I was in the house 5 minutes. The rocky trail made for SORE balls of your feet. I had boots on, everybody else had tennis shoes, they were jealous of my boots, but I was jealous of their shoes, not so many blisters in crevices I had forgotten about. I took us about 3 hours, We left our car at the starting point and Larry's car at the end. We need to work on Hike #2. (when the weather is in the 30-40 range though). Although once you got going wasn't so bad. I had long johns, turtle neck, fleece, jeans , ear muffs,hat, scarf, down wind and water resistant jacket that goes to Alaska and Glacier, started out cold, ended very comfortably except those blisters on my toes and my cement thighs. Larry is our friend that is 200 miles short of hiking the whole Appalachian trail with a group of guys. They really hike it not end up in Argentina!! So we are going to get another hike section together and do it again. Maybe when it's warmer
..
picture of stream feeding into Broad River, all iced over. We had Champ (an English Spaniel) and he did great, although I know his paws were sore from the rocks too!!
Sure beat hanging out in Newark Airport on Sunday in that mass of people and have to rescreen everybody through security. What a debacle that was!!!

No comments: